Mike Hayter (Consultant)
Mike was awarded a Bachelor of Laws from the University of Western Australia in 1973. Since then Mike has been a partner at firms in Geraldton and Fremantle, as well as a principal of firms in Geraldton and Fremantle. In late 2009 Mike and his wife, Liz, made the decision to move back to Geraldton where they had previously lived for approximately 11 years.
Mike has accumulated experience in a wide range of areas in over 44 years of legal practice which is of great benefit to his clients.
Mike has a broad range of commercial experience in the following areas:
- Business and Commercial;
- Agribusiness and Rural;
- Property & Leasing;
- Wills & Estates;
- Estate Disputes;
Business & Commercial:
- Representing company in joint venture, equity and fundraising negotiations involving meetings in United Kingdom, Switzerland, Germany, Holland and South Africa.
- Advising companies in respect to various commercial agreements.
- Advising clients in respect to various commercial leasing matters including substantial properties.
- Representing individuals and companies in various Wardens Court proceedings.
Fishing & Aquaculture:
- Advising individuals and companies in respect to commercial fishing agreements.
- Advising and representing individuals and companies in Fisheries Act prosecutions.
Wills, Estates & Probate:
- Advising various clients in respect to a wide range of matters relating to Wills, Estates and Probate.
Disputes & Litigation
- Representing a group of companies and individuals in substantial commercial litigation in the Supreme Court, Supreme Court of Appeal, Federal Court and High Court.
- Representing companies in administration and liquidation proceedings in the Supreme Court.
- Representing executors and beneficiaries in Supreme Court proceedings involving deceased estates.
- Representing clients in the Supreme Court in alleged breach of injunctions and contempt of court proceedings.
- Representing clients in the Supreme Court for review of penalties imposed by the Racing Penalties Appeal Tribunal.
- Representing clients in Supreme Court proceedings in respect to Will formalities.
- Representing corporation in Supreme Court proceedings in respect to corporations law matter involving amongst other things, valuation of shares
- Representing clients in Supreme Court proceedings involving various property matters.
- Representing clients in commercial and family related matters in the State Administrative Tribunal, District Court and Supreme Court.
Law Society Council of Western Australia 2013 – Country Member
Law Society of WA – Member
Midwest Chamber of Commerce – Member
WA Country Practitioners Committee 2013 – Convenor
Bachelor of Laws (UWA) 1973
Barrister & Solicitor of the Supreme Court of Western Australia 1974
Barrister & Solicitor of the High Court of Australia 1993
Professional Career History
Hayter & Co, Geraldton (Principal)
Hayter & Co (formerly MJ Hayter & Co), Fremantle (Principal)
Julienne Penny & Associates, Fremantle (Partner)
Altorfer & Stow, Geraldton (Partner)
Muir Williams Nicholson (currently Freehills), Perth (Articled Clerkship)